Veterinary dermatology is a specialty that diagnoses and treats animal disorders of the skin, hair, ears, and claws. Multiple diseases can result in dermatological lesions: parasitic infestations, allergies, hormonal imbalance, auto-immune diseases…
Different diagnostic procedures are offered :
- Intradermal allergy testing
- Skin biopsies under local or general anaesthesia
- Skin and ear cytologies
- Skin scrapings
- Bacterial and fungal cultures
- Video-otoscopic ear examination
- Deep ear irrigation under general anaesthesia (this procedure can be coupled with a CT scan of the middle and inner ear by our radiology service)
When to see a dermatologist for your pet ?
If you notice one or many of the following symptoms on your dog or cat, a veterinary dermatologist can help you :
- Your animal is itchy; he scratches, bites, chews or licks himself excessively.
- Your notice excessive hair loss.
- You can see abnormalities on the skin: crusts, scabs, dandruff, change in coloration or texture.
- Your animal is scratching its ears or you see abnormal secretions or its ears or skin smell bad.
Although skin diseases rarely endanger an animal’s life, they can greatly affect its quality of life.
Take an appointment as soon as possible to find out how we can help you and your pet.
Site of dermatologic zoonoses
Bacterial folliculitis/superficial pyoderma